water a necessity?

Salam Alaykum,

Alhamdulilah. I pray that this blog meets you all in the best of health and eeman. My aplogies for not posting any blog for a while I was busy advertising the blog and trying to get some inspiration for what to write. May Allah make our affairs easy for us all ameen.

My news highlight of the week was the story of the freed BBC journalist, Alan Johnston, describing the water he was given to drink at the start of his ordeal as murky and this contributed to him falling ill. Some time passed and he was able to convince his captives to boil the murky water for him to make it drinkable and his health improved. This got me thinking of the plight of millions of people around the world (mainly in Africa) who have little or no access water. When they find water it is most likely dirty but they have no choice but to drink it since they aren't sure when next they would be able to find water to drink. This has a knock on effect of causing diarrhea and cholera which the weak amongst them would probably die from. They are not so lucky as to have electricity, coal, kerosine or the right equipment with which they can boil the water to make it drinkable.

So as I return from a hard days' work (lol) and I go straight to the tap to get a refreshing glass of water to quench my thirst let me take time to remember those who don't have the luxury of clean drinkable water and I say alhamdulilah for Allah's mercy and then I tell myself that when next I feel the need to waste water perhaps I should remember the millions who would give anything for the water I needlessly waste.

“... eat and drink but waste not by extravagance, certainly He (Allah) likes not Al-Musrifun (those who waste by extravagance)” Q7: 31


REMINDER
On the authority of Abdullah bin Abbas, who said : One day I was behind the prophet and he said to me: "Young man, I shall teach you some words [of advice] : Be mindful of Allah, and Allah will protect you. Be mindful of Allah, and you will find Him in front of you. If you ask, ask of Allah; if you seek help, seek help of Allah. Know that if the Nation were to gather together to benefit you with anything, it would benefit you only with something that Allah had already prescribed for you, and that if they gather together to harm you with anything, they would harm you only with something Allah had already prescribed for you. The pens have been lifted and the pages have dried." Narrated by Tirmithi, who said it is true and fine hadith In a version other than that of Tirmithi it reads: "..Be mindful of Allah, you will find Him before you. Get to know Allah in prosperity and He will know you in adversity. Know that what has passed you by was not going to befall you; and that what has befallen you was not going to pass you by. And know that victory comes with patience, relief with affliction, and ease with hardship." (Nawawi Forty Hadith)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A year gone by

Hope and Change

The struggle