Am I a Good Ambassador?

Salam alaykum waramatullah wabarakatuhu,

"Do you think I look like a good muslim?" that was the question I was asked yesterday. This question took me by surprise. I had only known this sister a few months. In that time have I treated her badly? Have i interacted with her as though she was unworthy of my attention? This were the questions that was going through my mind seconds after the question was asked. I asked her what had brought this question on, she then told me the story of how someone at her work made a statement to the effect of you are not a typical muslim. I should point out her colleague is not a muslim.

From our discussion I came to the conclusion that her colleague made this statement because she does not wear the hijab but more importantly this sister is nice and caring which her colleague seems to think are not characters befitting of a good muslim.

First of all I think every muslim is on a journey of faith, we keep struggling to be the best muslim we can be. We start from nothing and by the mercy of Allah we grow in our eeman. We start to pray, read the Quran and dress modestly by wearing the hijaab (the muslimah).

I won't say a muslim woman who does not wear the hijaab is a bad muslimah although I would encourage her to wear it because it is really important to obey Allah as muslims. We should also ensure we don't bring about a segregation amongst ourselves as muslim women, those who wear the hijaab and those who do not. If this segregation is allowed to foster how do we go about encouraging them to obey Allah (SWT) and it might be that we would gain something which would make us better muslims in the sight of Allah (SWT).

Secondly, this is an advice to all muslims. You might be the only muslim a non muslim is in contact with. They might assume that the characteristics and manners you show is typical of the manners which Islam encouraged in all muslims. We all are therefore ambassadors of the deen and we should make sure we are the best ambassadors we can be. We should let the Quran and the sunnah of the Prophet Muhammad (SAW) be a guide to us in all our affairs and dealing with people. It is the manner of the rasul to show kindness to everyone he comes to contact with even the animals.

Indeed in the Messenger of Allah (Muhammad ) (SAW) you have a good example to follow for him who hopes in (the Meeting with) Allah and the Last Day and remembers Allah much. (Q33:21)

Narrated Abu Huraira: Allah's Apostle kissed Al-Hasan bin Ali while Al-Aqra' bin Habis At-Tamim was sitting beside him. Al-Aqra said, "I have ten children and I have never kissed anyone of them," Allah's Apostle cast a look at him and said, "Whoever is not merciful to others will not be treated mercifully." {Sahih Bukhari, Volume 8, Book 73, Number 26}

Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Amr: The Prophet said, "A Muslim is the one who avoids harming Muslims with his tongue and hands. And a Muhajir (emigrant) is the one who gives up (abandons) all what Allah has forbidden." {Sahih Bukhari, Volume 1, Book 2, Number 9}

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A year gone by

Hope and Change

The struggle